This week me and Aly attempted a raspberry cake and this was the outcome. It may not look great but it tasted good and that’s the main thing.
- 110g unsalted butter , softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
- 150g seedless raspberry jam
What to do
- Heat the oven to 180C or 160C for a fan oven.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, flour, sugar and eggs with an electric whisk.
- Keeping mixing for about 2 minutes until it is smooth.
- Line a 7 inch square cake tin (we only had a rectangular one) with greaseproof paper.
- Finally spoon the mixture into the tin and level off.
- Place into the oven for 25-30mins and until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in its tin for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the cake on to a wire cake and allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled heat the jam in a saucepan on a low heat for about 1-2 minutes.
- Spread the jam on top of the cake and allow to soak in.
If you wish you can serve with a few fresh raspberries or like me try it with some warm custard.
We learnt a few things while making this cake such as make sure you use the right cake tin but all in all we both enjoyed making it.